15 Interesting 1JZGTE Specs That May Surprise You
We take a detailed look at Toyota’s 1JZGTE specs to understand what makes this engine a tuner’s delight.
- 1. When was it built? The 1JZ-GTE was first manufactured in 1991 and found it’s home in Toyota’s top of the line Soarer GT Coupé.
- 2. What is the displacement? The 1JZ-GTE displaces 2,498 cubic centimetres.
- 3. What is the engine configuration? The 1JZ-GTE uses an inline six-cylinder configuration.
- 4. Who built it? The 1JZ-GTE was built by the Toyota Motor Corporation, Toyota City, Japan
- 5. Is it turbo-charged? Yes. It uses a single Hitachi CT15B turbo charger unit.
- 6. What is the stock boost pressure? 9 PSI
- 7. What are the cylinder head features? DOHC (Dual Over Head Cams), 24 valves (4 valves per cylinder), on later revisions it boasted a BEAMS Variable Valve Timing and Intake (VVT-I) system.
- 8. What is the stock power output? 280 PS @ 7,500 rpm
- 9. What is the stock torque output? 280 ft lb @ 2,400 rpm
- 10. What cars housed this engine? Toyota Chaser/Cresta/Mark II Tourer V (JZX81, JZX90, JZX100, JZX110), Toyota Soarer (JZZ30), Toyota Supra MK III (JZA70, Japan and Australia only), Toyota Verossa, Toyota Crown (JZS170), Toyota Mark II Blit.
- 11. How tuneable is the stock engine? The 1JZ-GTE is highly tuneable, the stock engine is good for 500 PS while the bottom end is reputed to hold up to 800 PS without modifications.
- 12. What do engine tuners think of it? Tuners often turn to the 1JZ as a relatively cheap engine conversion for a solid and reliable 500 PS potential. 1JZ’s have been housed in many drift cars over the years from Nissan S-Chassis to Infinity G35’s.
- 13. Does it have “cool” factor? There is absolutely no doubt that the 1JZ-GTE is considered extremely desirable.
- 14. How does it sound? Inline straight six cylinder configuration and high revving capability mean the 1JZ sounds fantastic when under load.
- 15. Are replacement parts hard to source? The engine came in many 90’s Toyota’s from the Soarer to three generations of JZX’s. Stock and aftermarket 1JZ parts are readily available in most countries.
Check out this 1JZ-GTE in action..
JZX100 with 1JZ-GTE with TRUST T67-25G @ 450ps.
So now you know the 1JZGTE specs inside and out why not check out how it performs in a head to head battle against it’s bigger brother; the mighty 2JZGTE?
Subscribe to Drifted
If you like this article why not subscribe to Drifted and we will email you our freshest content for free!